Close to main highway Belarus M1 is an agricultural town Megeve. The places here are quite interesting. The village spread out on both sides of a small reservoir. On one side of which former manor and Derozhinsky Park. With another - church ruins, about which in more detail in this article.
Similar abandoned temples are found throughout the country. Even in the district of Megeve there is a similar, but smaller, - Church of Nemerovo.
What pleasantly highlights the ruins of the Church of Megèvos? Around cleanliness, and the temple itself is mothballed. It can be seen that the locals protect the ancient ruins as best they can.
Back in the 18th century, on this very spot, a Uniate church was built. In 1839 the wooden church became Orthodox, and already in 1886 a new stone one was erected on the old foundation.
Church of the Intercession in Megeve for many years it was the center of one of the richest parishes in the Orsha region.
Architecture and history
In terms of architecture, everything is pretty standard - pseudo-Russian style. The walls have retained many decorative elements: pilasters, cornices, false columns. The temple is distinguished by the quality of work. The brickwork is nothing compared to the cheap anthills that were actively built after the suppression of the 1863 uprising.
The interior decoration has not been preserved. The church was closed in 1930 with the advent of Soviet power. For a short time, a school even worked here.
During the Second World War, the church again operated, services were conducted for almost 10 years (42-52 years). After the death of a local priest, the temple was abandoned and it began to gradually collapse.
Inside you can see several icons and a massive stone cross. It was found by the inhabitants of Megeve, during the cleaning of the temple from debris.
Another such cross is installed near the estate of Count Derozhinsky on the other side. There operates Orthodox Church of the Intercession of the Holy Mother of God.
The ruins of the church are easy to find. Drive off the main street onto the bridge and to the right.