One of the most recognizable sights of Vitebsk is Assumption Cathedraltowering on the banks of the Western Dvina. The temple that can be seen today is a restored copy.
The history of the cathedral begins at the end of the 17th century, when basilian monastery and built a wooden church, originally Uniate. In the first half of the 18th century, the monastery buildings and the temple were rebuilt in stone according to the project of the architect Joseph Fontana (by the way, he was involved in the construction Cathedral in Glubokoye, temple in Stolovichi and other significant objects on the territory Belarus). The whole complex was a beautiful baroque ensemble, but in 1799 a decision was made to rebuild the cathedral according to Orthodox canons.
The curved pediment of the baroque style is changed to the classical one, a massive light drum appears above the altar, the temple acquires more strict features typical of the architecture of the 19th century.
This is how the cathedral in Vitebsk is familiar to residents and guests of the city.
After the establishment of Soviet power in the city, the cathedral and the theological seminary, which was located in the former residential building of the Basilian monks, were closed. An active debate began about the need to destroy the architectural monument, and a terrible verdict was passed on the temple in 1936.
To blow up the building, a brigade of sappers from St. Petersburg was sent out, which, under the command of Pyotr Grigorenko, liquidated the cathedral without regret. The only thing that worried the performers at that time was the safety of the monastery building, which was planned to be used for production purposes.
On the site of the Holy Assumption Cathedral, one of the workshops for the production of grinding machines was erected. However, by the 70s, these workshops were abandoned, and in 1998 they were demolished. At the same time, plans appeared to restore the temple - the lost visiting card of Vitebsk.
In the summer of 2000, construction trust number 9 was already working on the preparation of the foundation pit, and 11 years later, the first solemn service was held.
So Vitebsk Cathedral again took its place of honor in the development of the city and gave hope that there would be a restoration of other destroyed objects (for example Church of St. Anthony of Padua). The temple is located on the street Krylova 9, below is a point with the location on the map:
Vitebsk is an impressive city with dozens of interesting sights. Be sure to check out town hall, take a walk along the pedestrian street and visit Church of St. Barbara.