Next to the old the town of Lunno (today - the agro-town of Mostovsky district), there was an estate with the sonorous name “Will“. There is no such toponym on modern maps, and the territory itself is included in Lunno. These lands have a rich and eventful history, as well as a list of prominent owners: Sapieha, Drutsky-Lyubetsky, Krivitsky, Chakhovsky, Romery, Tarasovichi and others. A reminder of those glorious times is the partially abandoned estate Tarasovichi (in many sources Krivitsky).

Abandoned house in Lunno agricultural town

Tarasovich's estate in Lunno
This is how the estate looked in the first half of the 20th century. Photo taken circa 1937, source: Aftanazy Roman. “Dzieje rezydencji na dawnych kresach Rzeczypospolitej” volume 3.

The construction of the estate in the town of Wola was carried out by representatives of the Krivitsky family. The estate passed to them from the Chakhovskys and Romers, who owned Lunno from the beginning of the 19th century.

Manor "Will" in Lunno

House in the classical form of architecture, with a rounded portico, completed by 1832. A similar estate was in another place in the Grodno region - Russiaowned by the Pototskys.

The Krivitsky estate in Lunno

Manor Krivitsky in Lunno
roof: book Aftanazy Roman. “Dzieje rezydencji na dawnych kresach Rzeczypospolitej” volume 3. Zdymak 1934-37

In the middle of the 19th century, Jozefa Krivitskaya married Vladislav Tarasovich, so the owners of the Volya manor changed. The further history of the estate will be connected precisely with this gentry surname.

After the defeat of the uprising of 1863-64, the Tarasovichi were in a difficult financial situation and could easily lose their only estate. However, by a happy coincidence, they were able to keep the estate.

Homestead in the agricultural town of Lunno
Photograph of Louise Arner Boyd, 1934

The former estate of the Krivitskys "Will" in Lunno

In 1915, the Tarasovich family had to leave their home and leave for Minsk, fleeing from the onset of German troops. They were able to return to Lunno-Volya after the end of the First World War. The family estate was dilapidated and plundered, but the senior representatives of the Tarasoviches, Edward and Jadwiga-Emilia, managed to restore the estate and by 1928 it was already flourishing. In the old photographs of the 30s, you can see the happy Tarasovich family, who did not even suspect what trouble was coming to their house.

In 1939 the estate was plundered again. At that time, only the youngest son of Edward, Kazimir Tarasovich, remained in Lunno. His fate was rather difficult: there were accusations of collaboration with the Craiova Army, arrest and exile in Kazakhstan. For many years, his story remained unknown, but in 1956 a curious fact emerges. Together with his wife, he was passing through the Grodno region and in church in the village of Kamenka baptized his daughter. Died in 1988 in Gnieznowhere his ancestors often visited and lived. It is also known that the elder brother Stanislav emigrated to Canada after the end of the war. Before his death, he came to Belarus and even managed to meet with his brother.

Former manor house in the agricultural town of Lunno

After the war, the manor-palace was used as a local House of Culture, then for housing. The complex arched portico was demolished, leaving only two false columns from it. Next to the estate there is a small square house, stylistically very reminiscent of an outbuilding or an office. However, there is information that the building was built much later.

Outbuilding of Lunno Manor

Looking closely at other buildings in the village, you can find pylons from the entrance gate. The alley of trees has also been preserved, the road from which leads to Lunno. The former estate of the Tarasovichi arrives in a heavily abandoned form and the situation is deteriorating every year. The old house is located near the P44 highway, exit to Selkhozkhimiya street, below is a point on the map:

If you want to learn more about the history of the places Lunno and Volya, read the book "May the Moon-Will" by Lyavon Karpovich. In the center of the agro-town you can see Church of St. Annebuilt at the end of the 18th century.

5 1 vote
Rate this article
0 Comment
Inline feedback
View all comments