known since the XNUMXth century. manor in Saldutishkiai now it is the most well-kept estate in the Utena region. Its founder is considered to be a Russian nobleman Antanas Yalovetsiy, who in 1832 built a palace here in the style of classicism. The estate, which was owned by the Yalovetskys before the First World War, later passed from hand to hand: there was a Salesian monastery, a military hospital, and after the war, a Soviet headquarters, a school, a hostel.

Each new owner remade the manor house and the territory of the manor in his own way, so the entrepreneur Arunas Svitoyus, who bought the estate in 2005, had to work hard until the once prosperous estate was restored to its authentic look and abandoned buildings were rebuilt. And yet today, the revived estate again pleases residents and guests of the city: concerts, conferences, various cultural and educational events are held here.

The first narrow gauge railway in Lithuania

Manor in Saldutishkiai began to flourish when it passed into the hands of Boleslav Yalovetsky - the grandson of Antanas Yalovetsky. The new owner graduated from the Nikolaev Military Technical Academy in St. Petersburg and was interested in railways - not only bought shares in railways, but also designed two elite, luxurious royal trains.

Great project Boleslav Yalovetsky received recognition, and the author was awarded - he was allowed to buy land around the town Saldutishkiai in Vilna province. Soon the villages of Antalameste, Krivasalis, Plauchiskiai, Trinkunai, Pakevenai, Pavizhinchiai, Varniskiai, Vilkolakiai were added to the manor's possessions. The landowner, who expanded his holdings, spared neither time nor investment in the estate. He built a stable, a barn, a threshing floor, a glacier, set up a park, a garden, flower beds on 11 hectares, and for years he was densely planted with larches.

Boleslav Yalovetsky did not lose his love for railways - next to the house he decided to build the first Lithuania narrow-gauge railway, the construction of which he himself controlled. The narrow-gauge railway passing through Saldutishkiai was laid along the route Panevėžys – Švenčiuneliai.

The barn became a church

The construction of a narrow-gauge railway did not prevent the landowner at the same time from building a barn in the estate, in which they kept grain, flour, household items, and household equipment. It is interesting that Bolesław Jałowiecki decided to replace the usual materials for the construction of a barn at that time - logs and wood - with huge stones, and the windows were decorated with red brick architraves.

The owners of the manor changed, and the outbuildings of Saldutiškiai were abandoned. To prevent building materials from wasting, during the interwar period, the walls of the barn were used for construction. church of st. Francis of Assisi.

The foundation of the church was laid out of the stones of the granary, and the wooden part of the building with towers was erected on it - the church stands in this form to this day.

The ensemble of the manor in Saldutishkiai is proud of its large dendrological park of rare plants. 22 species of trees and bushes grow in it - among them, Japanese larch, brilliant cotoneaster, Tatar maple, white snowberry, tree caragana stand out. Since 1958, the manor park has been protected as a unique natural monument.

On the estate in Palesius - a barn in the shape of a horseshoe

Approximately 50 kilometers from Saldutishkiai there is another restored homestead – the homestead in Palesius. The estate in the Ignalina region is often called an excellent example of restoration - visitors are attracted here not only by the buildings that remember the times of the nobles, but also by the operating hotel with a restaurant and even a SPA center.

The former wooden manor in Palesius was bought in 1736 by the Livonian official Casimir Jan Kublicki. Starting construction from the stables, the new owner later built several more outbuildings, erected a simple brick residential building. Among the buildings of the manor stood out the barn building, which is unique in Lithuanian form, which today is covered with a glass and metal structure and has become a hall for events.

Successfully managing the economy and engaged in trade, the Kublitskys also contributed to the development of the town of Melagenai - a tavern appeared here, a market square was paved, shops were opened, and soon the construction of a stone church began. The candlesticks with the coats of arms of the family of nobles preserved in the church still remind of the heyday of the estate in Palesius.

0 0 vote
Rate this article
Subscribe
notice
1 Comment
the old
New most +
Inline feedback
View all comments
Gogolson
Gogolson
5 years ago

On the way from Vilnius to Klaipeda, you can see the main sights of the region. conveniently