Impressive estates - the legacy of the counts of Tyszkiewicz
Counts Tyszkiewicz is the most famous family of the Lithuanian nobility. Having risen in the XNUMXth century, for several hundred years the Tyszkiewicz became the richest landowners Lithuania. Dozens of estates belonging to these nobles were distinguished by magnificent luxury, elegant aesthetics and impressive landscape parks. The Tyshkeviches, who did not lack funds, built not only estates - they also took care of the development of industry, the social sphere, and did a lot for the development of local communities.
You can get a little touch of the luxurious life of the family of counts, get acquainted with their culture, in the local estates in Uzhutrakis, Traku Wok, Raudondvarise, Palanga и Kretinge.
Uzhutrakis Manor, located by Lake Galvė, was given to the Tyszkiewicz family in 1897. The owner of the property, Iosif Tyszkiewicz, together with his wife Jadwiga, decided to turn the wooden building standing in the forest into an elegant classicist palace, the interior was decorated with furniture brought from Paris and crystal chandeliers.
Built according to the project of the Warsaw architect Józef Huss, the white-stone Tyszkiewicz Palace was used as a summer residence. The only land route leading to the palace seemed too ordinary for the luxury-loving counts, so they arrived in their domain by water - through the isthmus of lakes Galvė and Skaistis.
The manor park, designed by Edouard Francois André, with linden alleys, flower beds and sculptures, was distinguished by its beauty, and even today it is adored by newlyweds and visitors to the park yearning for romance.
Manor in Traku Wok
Manor in Traku Wok in the middle of the XNUMXth century. I bought Jan Witold Emmanuel Tyszkiewicz with his wife Isabella. At first they came here only in the summer, later the count's family decided to live in Traku Wok permanently. Italian-born architect Leander Marconi created a project for a luxurious palace in the image of the residence of Polish kings in Warsaw.
The two-story palace was decorated with eight sculptures, and inside the palace surprised with luxury: valuable paintings hung on the walls, marble fireplaces heated the rooms, they had furniture bought at auctions or custom-made, crystal chandeliers.
After the death of the count, the estate was inherited by his son Jan Joseph. Thanks to him, in 1982 the manor park was redesigned by the landscape architect E. Andre, beloved by the Tyszkiewicz family. Stone bathtubs for ladies and gentlemen were even installed on the cascades of the slopes.
Raudondvaris (Red Estate) in 1825, Benedict Emmanuel Tyszkiewicz received from his father Nikolay Tyszkiewicz as a wedding gift. The new owner restored destroyed by fire red brick palace, and he spared neither time nor money for the estate itself.
Heated by stoves with Swedish tiles, decorated with portraits of kings and nobles, the palace had a bathroom and even several toilets - at that time these were unusual amenities for most.
The local park and greenhouse were no worse equipped. The latter was famous for its collection of citrus trees and exotic plants brought by the count from his travels.
Here colorful parrots chirped, monkeys ran, and once there were as many as three alligators.
Bought in 1824 Palanga Manor Tyshkevichi considered the founders of the resort itself. On their initiative, the beach was put in order, roads were laid, summer houses were built, as well as the first Palanga restaurant with a hotel, called Kurhaus.
The modern manor palace, built under Felix Tyszkiewicz, was designed in 1891 by the German architect Franz Schwechten.
Around the palace, E. Andre laid out a park of amazing beauty, which still pleases the residents and guests of Palanga today. Paths have been laid among centennial pines, ponds have been dug, many trees and bushes have been planted, and a large rose garden has survived to this day.
Kretinga Manor Iosif Tyshkevich purchased in 1874, and soon the whole family moved here. The neo-Renaissance palace was in Kretinga before, but the Tyszkiewicz rebuilt and improved it somewhat.
The two buildings of the palace were connected by an impressive greenhouse - it had one of the largest private winter gardens in Europe at that time. Blooming and greening all year round exotic plants seemed to the guests of the estate a real miracle.
Tyszkiewicz invested a lot in industry, cared about the social sphere of life.
The first hydroelectric power station was equipped at the water mill, a shelter for the elderly and orphans was established next to the manor, and later the first Lithuanian kindergarten.