Church in Golshany is an architectural monument of the early 17th century. The original version of the temple was built by order and with money Pavel Stefan Sapieha. In 1618 he invited the monks Franciscan orders for which a church was built, and a monastery was founded.

Church and monastery in Golshany

History and architecture

Most historians agree that the church acquired its modern appearance after the reconstruction in 1770.

Church in Golshany

Church of St. John the Baptist made in style baroque. The building has a rectangular shape and is divided into three naves. The church was built without towers, and perhaps the main decorative element is figured pediment. In addition, the temple is decorated with pilasters, niches and figured windows.

Golshany church

After the defeat of the Polish uprising in 1830, the Franciscan monastery in Golshany was abolished. Since 1832 the church has become an ordinary parish church.

Franciscan monastery in Golshany

Things to Do in Golshany

Inside the church there is a fresco behind the altar painting, subsidized by the XNUMXth century. In the center of which are depicted scenes of the Baptism of Christ. It is located on a flat wall, but at the same time it is made in such a way that it creates the illusion of a three-dimensional image.


To the left of the temple is the residential building of the former monastery. For a long time they are trying to restore it, today it arrives in a rather neglected form.

Building of the Franciscan monastery in Golshany

In the first half of the 19th century, in front of the entrance to the church, a gate-bell tower. Made in a more classical style of architecture, bunk.

Brama bell tower in Golshany

After the end of World War II, the temple was empty for many years, its reconstruction began in the 90s. Today it is active and open to everyone. Pavel Sapieha and his wife are buried in the Golsha church.

Golsha legend

The legend about a ghost is connected with the church in Golshany white lady, whose silhouette happened to be seen near the building. The giving itself dates back to the time of the construction of the monastery. When, during the construction of one of the walls, first one collapse occurred, and then another, the builders, who were very afraid of Sapieha's wrath, decided to make a sacrifice the castle. Namely, to immure the first woman who brings her husband lunch. She became the wife of a young bricklayer. Since then, her ghost has been wandering these lands.

It is interesting that this legend has confirmation. Since during the restoration of the church, a walled skeleton was found in a niche of one of the walls. At first it was planned to bury the restless soul in the temple, but by mistake the builders buried the bones without a proper ritual. Shortly after this, the men died or perished without having time to tell about the place of burial. It is also interesting that when the skeleton was removed from the wall, it cracked and began to collapse. Seeing this, urgent measures were taken to strengthen the masonry.

In the village of Golshany is quite interesting ordinary building of the early 20th century. You can also see wooden building of the Polish commune.


Enter your comment
Your name