Novogrudok – one of the most important cities in the history of our country and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania as a whole. Therefore, each attraction in this city is special in its own way and worthy of attention. After visiting castle ruins I highly recommend watching it Farny Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord. Initially, this temple had Gothic architectural features, and its history dates back to 1395. There is even a legend suggesting that Grand Duke Vytautas was involved in the construction of the church, and he chose the place for the construction of the temple on an ancient pagan temple.

Spadchyna Navagrudka

Novogrudok Farny Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

At the beginning of the 18th century, large-scale work began on the reconstruction of the Novogrudok church in the Sarmatian Baroque style, which is why elements of different eras are intertwined in its architecture. The exact date of construction is unknown. It is believed that the modern temple was erected on the site of its predecessor in the period from 1712 to 1726.

Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord Novogrudok

Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord Novogrudok

The architecture of the church is quite austere, and its centuries-old history is clearly visible. The main façade is highlighted by a triangular pediment, which rises above two-tier quarter towers.

Farny Church in the city of Novogrudok

The interior space has only one nave, and the temple itself ends in a semicircular apse. The architecture features chapels located on the left side. They differ in size and shape, are oriented in different directions, and are also built in honor of different saints.

В Chapel of the Body of the Lord there is a memorial slab of black marble:

In the Battle of Khotyn in 1621, a cavalry regiment consisting of 720 horsemen took part. They were commanded by a castellan Jan Rudamin. It is believed that it was the intervention of this regiment in the battle that turned the tide of the entire battle.

old photo of the church
source: Globe of Belarus

It was in honor of his brother and neighbors who fought against the Turks that a memorial plate was installed. In the center is a bas-relief depicting 9 figures and Jan Rudamin himself, from below - defeated enemies, and from above - the Mother of God with a child.

photo Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord

In 1857, the Farny Church of Novogrudok was closed by order of the authorities and preserved for many years. Catholics returned to the temple only in 1906, after which a long restoration began. Since 1929, a mission of Nazarene nuns operated within the walls of the church.

Farny kastsel Praabrazhennya Gaspodnyaga ў Navagrudku

In 1943, during the German occupation, 11 nuns were killed. Pope John Paul II canonized the martyrs. In memory, a memorial stone was erected next to the church.

Farny Church is located in the city of Novogrudok on May 1st. It is easy to find, location on the map:

What else to see in this region? In Novogrudok itself, take a look at Church of St. Michael the Archangel и Boris and Gleb Church.

5 1 vote
Rate this article
Subscribe
notice
0 Comment
Inline feedback
View all comments