Close to urban area Velyka Berestovitsa there is an agro-town Malaya Berestovitsa. Several architectural monuments of the 19th century have been preserved here. Among which - Church of St. Anthony of Padua.

Malaya Berestovitsa

The church was built in difficult times, when Malaya Berestovitsa belonged to Volkovysk. The construction of the stone temple began in 1851 year, in place of the wooden predecessor.

Church of St. Anthony of Padua

When the work on the temple was coming to an end, there was an uprising in 1863. As you know, after this event, most of the churches on territory of Belarus were closed or transferred to the Orthodox Church. The same fate befell the church of St. Anthony of Padua.

Malaya Berestovitsa church

The church was returned to the Catholics in the 20s of the 20th century. However, the war and Soviet power were approaching, which did not bode well. The temple was burned by a local resident, after which it stood abandoned for a long time and was not used.

Church in Malaya Berestovitsa

The church architecture is unusual and even eclectic. It has a mixture of Renaissance and Gothic styles. The shape of the temple is simple and rectangular, small in size. The walls are decorated with false columns and arched niches. The only eye-catching element is a small faceted turret above the entrance.

Across the road is Church of Demetrius of Thessalonica. More sights of Belarus on the map.

5 1 vote
Rate this article
Subscribe
notice
0 Comment
Inline feedback
View all comments