Village Geranen located just a few kilometers from the border of Belarus and Lithuania. The place has been known in history since the first half of the 15th century as the possession of the Gashtold family. Main attraction - old church of St. Nicholas in the late baroque style with elements of classicism.
The first, still Gothic version of the temple was completed in 1529, by order and money Albrecht Gastold. preserved in the annals curious fact: it was in this church that Barbara Radziwill and the last representative of the Gashtold family, Stanislav, were married.
Your baroque look geranen church received much later - at the end of the 18th century. It is known that after the devastating fire, the temple was so badly damaged that it had to be rebuilt almost from scratch. So in 1771, restoration work began, which lasted about 10 years. It was during that period that the church acquired the features of the late baroque.
Interestingly, since 1730, a school operated at the church in Geraneny, founded with the support of PR monks. On the territory of Belarus, the representation of this monastic order was not numerous (Shchuchin, Meadows, Lida).
In the middle of the 19th century, side sacristies were added to the church, and a little later, until 1883, a small narthex was completed.
Next to the church there is a two-tier belfry.
In Soviet times, the temple was not closed, and in the 70s of the last century it was even recognized as a monument of republican significance. The church with 500 years of history operates and is open to everyone, services are regularly conducted. Below is the location of the temple on the map:
Fragments are partially preserved in Geranen castle Gashtold.