Glusk is a large urban settlement of the Mogilev region, which is located near the P55 highway connecting Bobruisk and Soligorsk. The first mention of the town of Glusk in the annals dates back to the 15th century, and among the prominent owners: Golshansky, Khodkevichi, Czartoryisky, Polubinsky, Yudzitsky and Bzhostovsky. However, despite such an ancient and rich history attractions in Glusk not so much.

Castle in Glusk

The most interesting object is ancient settlement, where there used to be a wooden castle built by Prince Dubrovitsky, Yuri Golshansky, in the first half of the 16th century.

Where was the castle in Glusk

It is at this place that the future Glusk (originally Glusk-Dubrovitsky) will begin to form. The wooden buildings of the castle stood until 1655, but were burned during the war of 1654-67.

What to see in Glusk?

A dozen years later, on the site of the old fortress, the construction of a bastion castle begins, and in parallel, Bernardine monks arrive in Glusk with their mission.

Where was the Bernardine church in Glusk?
1920, on the left - the destroyed church of the Virgin Mary, be.wikipedia

With the support of Prince Alexander Polubinsky, a massive church and monastery are being built. This complex was located next to the castle, today there is a stadium.

Historic Glusk

Urban settlement of Glusk

Carved figures in Glusk

It is curious that when these lands passed to the Radziwills, one of the representatives of this noble family even tried to challenge the rights of the Bernardine monks to these possessions.

Glusk vintage photo
The Bernardine Church, 1906, can be seen in the background.

However, this soon became irrelevant. After the second partition of the Commonwealth, Glusk found itself part of the Russian Empire. The bastion castle was losing its significance and was quickly destroyed, and the Bernardine monastery was completely closed in 1830.

Park of Figures in Glusk

Despite the fact that the monastery was liquidated, the church remained active until 1935, then it was closed, and after another 10 years the building was blown up.

Bernardine Monastery in Glusk
Bernardine Church in Glusk, 1919. Zdymak with Kalektsy of Yazhen Kalomenkin,

For some time, the walls of the temple housed the warehouse of the Spatri chipboard artel, later the KIM enterprise. During this period, the church fell into complete disrepair, there was even a fire here. In 1944, the retreating Germans blew up the religious building, and later what was preserved was dismantled for building materials. It is interesting that even today bricks from an old and forgotten church are lying around the stadium.

Unusual figures in Glusk park

There was also an Orthodox church in Glusk, built in the second half of the 19th century on the main square. Architecture Holy Resurrection Church was quite typical for the period of construction.

Old center of Glusk
Central square, and in the background the Church of the Resurrection, 1919, be.wikipedia

On the site of this temple now stands the local House of Culture. It is curious that in its architecture the features of a Bernardine church are more likely to be traced, but no, this place was precisely the ant-church.

Urban settlement of Glusk

By the way, there was another Orthodox church in Glusk, located on the other side of the park, behind the Orion center. There is a whole story associated with this church.

Cinema Orion in Glusk

So in 1961, when Holy Epiphany Church dismantled, an ancient icon from the time of the founding of the temple, and this is the 16th century (!), They simply threw it into the dirt into the street. However, one of the local residents of Glusk took the relic to his home and kept it for almost 30 years.

Church in Glusk
modern church

In the 90s, they decided to build a new temple in the urban village, with the same name, - Church of the Epiphany. The saved icon moved here, preserving a piece of ancient history.

Glusk attractions
Decorative design of Glussky Park on various fairy-tale themes

Several brick houses built in the late 19th - first half of the 20th century have been preserved along Kirova Street. Such houses housed various shops and administrations, and the owners were often Jewish residents.

Old buildings in Glusk

A small monument to the writer is erected in the central park Sergei Grakhovsky.

monument to the writer Sergei Grakhovsky

He has not only his own works to his credit, but also significant translations into Belarusian. For example, it was he who translated “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” by Jules Verne (in Bel. in his translation - “80 kilometers under water”).

Glusk what is interesting in the city?

Monument Glusk

Glusk is a compact settlement that has its own hotel and museum. Therefore, if you are passing through, it is worth stopping by, at least to see the ancient castle.

Nearby is the main attraction of the Glusk district - wooden church in Gorodok. It will also be interesting to go to Luban and visit the local chalk quarry.


Enter your comment
Your name