One of the central sights of Gomel - Rumyantsev and Paskevich Palace. This is where every tourist who comes to the city tries to look, and locals enthusiastically walk in the park. The history of the creation of the palace complex began in the second half of the 18th century, when Gomel was given to Prince Rumyantsev by order of Empress Catherine II.
Construction of the palace began around 1777, and work continued for about 20 years. Several prominent architects were involved, and the general style of the complex can be attributed to classicism.
Since 1834, the Gomel palace passed to Count Paskevich, who bought the complex from the Rumyantsevs. Hence the double name, after the names of two famous families - the palace of the Rumyantsevs and Paskeviches.
Ivan Paskevich immediately began to expand his new possessions. Thanks to him and the invited Polish architect Adam Izdzkowski, the palace in Gomel underwent significant changes. So already in the middle of the 19th century, a landscape park was laid out, the northern wing, according to Paskevich’s idea, acquired a 3rd floor, and the southern one was dismantled to the foundation and a massive four-tier tower was erected in its place.
The newly erected tower housed the princely collection of paintings, family dishes, awards and various gifts received by Paskevich. At the prince’s direction, a swan pond, neat flower beds and numerous statues appeared.
After the revolution of 1917, the palace and park complex came into the possession of the state, and the Gomel Regional Museum of Local Lore was located within its walls. The basis of the museum’s composition was the numerous valuables and relics that both the Rumyantsevs and the Paskeviches collected for many years.
During the Second World War, the entire rich exhibition of the museum was taken out of the country; unfortunately, only a small part of the exhibits returned. The building itself was heavily damaged and required a lot of effort to restore it.
Part of the palace was quickly restored after the war and began to be used again as a museum; in 1970, the halls of the tower were also opened to visitors.
The Palace of the Rumyantsevs and Paskeviches in Gomel today is a modern museum, where the princely rooms are recreated on the ground floor: the White and Red drawing rooms, the Hall of Columns and the hall for ceremonies. On the second floor there is a museum exhibition of paintings, sculptures, weapons and other personal belongings of the princely families.
The walls of the palace remember many bright and exciting stories from the lives of outstanding statesmen from the princely families of the Paskeviches and Rumyantsevs. The complex itself is located in the center of Gomel, in its historical part, below is the location on the map: