In the historical center Grodno, not far from Old и new castles, located Church of the Nativity of the Virgin. The temple is interesting because it was built during the Orthodox Basilian convent.

Church and monastery of Basilians in Grodno

The monastery itself was founded in the first half of the 17th century and belonged to Prechistenskaya Church. Through the efforts of the Basilians, in 1720, it was decided to build a stone temple. On the territory of which there are also residential premises.

bogorodica-cerkov-grodno

Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Grodno built in 1726 year. Determining the architectural style of the building is quite problematic. The architecture of the church absorbed the features of both baroque and classicism.

Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in Grodno

The shape of the temple also attracts attention. The dominants of the Grodno church were built along the north-south axis, and not west-east, as was customary. The monastery itself is an oblong two-story building. There is a small chapel on the east side.

Grodno Church of the 18th century in Grodno

1843 was a turning point - the Basilian Monastery was abolished. Now the way of the temple began to lead the Orthodox Church. Restoration of the interior and exterior decoration has begun. According to the canons of Orthodoxy, the altar was moved to the eastern part of the temple.

cerkov-bogorodika-grodno

In the second half of the 20th century, the Grodno monastery underwent changes. First, an orphanage was created within its walls. Later - a workshop for the production of candles. Since 1960, the nuns were sent to the Zhirovichi Monastery.

Monastery and Church of the Basilians in Grodno

For a long time, the museum of atheism and the history of religion was located on the territory of the complex. In 1992 the church was returned to believers. Today, the Holy Nativity of the Theotokos convent and Sunday school are located here. In addition, there is Republican Museum of Religion. The entrance to the museum is paid. The church is located on David Gorodensky Street 3, in Grodno.

What else can you see in Grodno? Recommended to visit Borisoglebovskaya (Kolozhskaya) church и Farny Church.

5 1 vote
Rate this article
Subscribe
notice
0 Comment
Inline feedback
View all comments