History Catholic parish in Budslav begins long before the construction of the temple that can be seen today. So at the beginning of the 16th century, Prince Alexander of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania gave the Bernardine monks a piece of land on the shore Servach river. After that, a small wooden chapel appeared there, on the site of which a bosom Ascension of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Budslav Belarus

In addition, a hospital for the poor and even an elementary and music school appeared next to the church. The first stone church, the Bernardine monks, with the support of the voivode Janusz Kishka, was built in 30s, 17th century. It is this small temple that will become the basis of one of the most beautiful churches in the future. churches in Belarus.

Church in Budslav before the fire

Photo of the church in Budslav before the fire

Architect and leader of the work on that small Bernardine church was a bricklayer Andreas Kromer. In the middle of the 18th century, with the money of the philanthropist Varvara Skorulskaya, the monastery building was erected, and by the summer of 1767, work began on the restructuring of the church.

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Budslav

К September 1783 of the year work on the temple was completely completed. He was solemnly consecrated by the bishop Frantisik Alois Gzowski in honor of Ascension of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The small church of 1643 becomes the side chapel of St. Barbara.

The most interesting places in Belarus Budslav

The Bernardine monastery was closed in 1852. The buildings of the monastery were eventually transferred to the tsarist authorities and were empty until the end of the 19th century, until they were completely dismantled.

budslav
old photo, source: globe of Belarus

Budslav church

The church in Budslav has pronounced features late baroque. The same architectural style can be traced in the interior, the murals of the 18th century on the walls have been preserved.

Church in Budslav

Entrance to the Budslav Church

Budslav temple is recognized an architectural monument of republican significance, and at the end of the 20th century this temple was given the title of "small basilica". Only 2 more temples have a similar title in Belarus: Church of Francis Xavier in Grodno и  Church of the Virgin Mary in Pinsk.

Church with the title Minor Basilica of Belarus

The miraculous icon of the Mother of God and interior decoration

One of the most significant Catholic shrines in our country is located in the Budslav Church - icon of the Mother of God of Budslav - Protector of Catholics It is considered miraculous and can cure serious illnesses. Initially, it was brought from Vilna to Dolginovsky Church of St. Stanislaus.

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Budslav

There is even a legend about this icon. A boy was brought to the temple, who became blind at the age of 4. When he crossed the threshold of the Budslav temple, his sight returned to him. The grateful boy dedicated his whole life to serving in this church.

The altars give a special attraction to the interior of the church. One of them was carved specifically for the miraculous icon. This unique altar is so skillfully painted that it gives the impression of a stucco and sculpted altar.

Altar in Budslovsky church

Coming closer, you can see how the volume of forms is lost. But beauty remains.

Painting in the Budslav Church

Also in the temple, a gilded carved organ of the 18th century has been preserved. Unfortunately, it doesn't work now.

Church in Budslav after the fire
this is how the church looked before opening in June 2022

Budslav Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary one of the most popular sights of Belarus. Tour buses and tour groups leave here daily. Until 2021, the church could be freely visited from Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 to 17:00; Sunday until 15:30, at Monday day off. However, after the fire, the temple was temporarily closed, at the end of June 2022 the doors of the church were reopened for everyone.

Church in Budslav after the fire

Budslav Church after the fire

Located on Red Square street, 8 in the agricultural town Budslavsky, below is a point with a mark on the map:

In the neighboring village of Polesie, there is another attraction - a rebuilt Manor Oskerko “Budslav”. I also recommend going to church in Parafyanovo, on the way stopping to look at the ruins of the gate in Sitzah.

A small overview video, where there are shots from the Budslav church before the fire.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE AN ANSWER

Enter your comment
Your name