The first buildings date back to 1634-35, when the Lithuanian Marshal Krzysztof Veselovsky and his wife Alexandra decided to build a monastery for nuns here Order of Saint Brigid. Respectively Brigid's Church in Grodno dates from the first half of the 17th century.
Brigid Church has only one nave. On relatively low towers are portals made of Dutch sandstone. The western façade is divided by straight vertical ledges that imitate Corinthian order columns. They are decorated with cornices, turrets and an ornament, which is a spiral curl. The facade on the north side is covered with artistic plaster. The architecture of the temple belongs to the early baroque period.
What did the order of Brigitte do?
Representatives of the order led a solitary and isolated life from the city. A distinctive feature of their robes was a headdress, on which were five red marks, personifying the wounds of Christ.
Saint Brigid is the spiritual patroness of the nuns. She renounced wealth and royal privileges and gave her life to the service of the Lord.
The monastery in Grodno belonged to the order for more than two centuries. However, in 1842, the Russian authorities abolished the monastery, allowing the nuns only to remain in the church. Toward the end of the 19th century, the church was badly damaged by fire. The flame even melted the bell in one of the towers. By 1890, only 5 nuns remained in the former monastery. The last of the brigits of the Grodno monastery is considered Eleonora Skrezhendevskaya.
In the second half of the 20th century, there was a kindergarten here for some time, then narcological and neuropsychiatric dispensaries. Early 90s Church of the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary became active again.
Spihler in Grodno
On the territory of the monastery, another unique building has been preserved - wooden sprinkler. Built in the middle of the 18th century (between 1753 and 1780).
In form, this is a house of 2 floors, built of beams with a high pitched roof.
During its heyday, the Brigitte Monastery occupied an area of a whole block. It included a church, a residential building, a stone fence, several towers and spichler.
In the neighboring quarter there is another unusual attraction - water towers Kasya and Basya. Look closer to the historical center Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross. Variants of excursions in Grodno.